Tuesday, April 5, 2011

About My Term Research Paper

For my term paper, I choose the topic: Analysis: Wiki’s Positive and Negative Effects on Society.
I did my researches on this topic through the Baruch library's databases and borrow several books related to the rapid growth of new media technology and the shift in media culture. The Baruch library's database is where I found my two scholar sources. I did google a little bit about the potential of new media technology on increasing interactive mass media, ecommerce and etc.

On my research, I have traced back to the first creation of wikis and how the web page was first formed. I have learned that wikis are slowly adopt in many other fields of society as it was not planned at first. I also found out that blogs were actually the first one on gain popularity especially after the 911 attack where people use blog to express their voices and opinions as they pass along different videos and images and share them with other audiences. After the emerge of blogs, wikis' also graudally gaining its popularity especially because of the formation of Wikipedia, an entirely volunteer-contribution-driven encyclopedia.

I mainly choose this topic because I always thought of wiki as wikipedia, but as I research on them, I found out that the wiki systems, other than wikipedia, have more to offer. Wikis' mainly focusing on creating a co-author collaboration environment. I also find it interesting that the word "wiki" was actually originated from a Hawaiian word meaning "fast" or "quick."

I hope that my paper can contribute to the field of new media by clearly stated how new media technology is important in a way as it revolved our daily life enabling an increase in knowledge and incorporates interaction. Through my paper, I also want to point out that we should learn to adapt to different forms of new media technologies as well as allowing the integration between the old and the new in order to maximize their potential benefits.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I also found my scholarly sources from the Baruch database. I tried Google at first, but realized that you had to purchase many of them rather than getting them for free. I guess that's a great perk for Baruch students. By the way your topic sounds really interesting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that blogs became more popular after 911. Makes sense though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool. Blogs are really used by a lot of people for information. For example if you google something a lot of the results are blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Wiki just meant wikipedia too!

    ReplyDelete